Frequently Asked Questions

Jump to see:
About Us
Financial Support
Frequently Asked Questions
Income Eligibility
Listed below are answers to questions about us and our web site. If you have a question not answered below, please Contact Us.

Is there a charge for Legal Action's services?
Legal Action's services are free for qualified, income-eligible persons. (SeniorLAW, a program of Legal Action which serves persons 60 and older, does not have income and asset limitations; all services are free.)

How do I get in touch with a lawyer to discuss my problem?
Legal Action has five offices throughout Southeastern Wisconsin - two offices in Milwaukee and an office in Madison, Kenosha and Racine.  Please contact the office closest to you for interview times and to talk with a staff member about your legal problem. Please refer to the legal services page for a basic description of types of cases handled.

What kinds of cases does Legal Action handle?
Legal Action provides free civil legal services to low-income people and senior citizens in the areas of housing, public benefits, family law, jobs and economic development and education. (Please refer to the legal services page for a more complete description of types of cases handled.) Legal Action does not handle criminal, Selective Service, school desegregation, redistricting, class action, welfare reform, abortion or fee-generating cases. Also, Legal Action cannot represent undocumented aliens or prisoners. Legal Action can, however, refer persons with these cases to lawyers who may be able to help them.

Who can ask for help from Legal Action?
Low-income people and elderly persons with civil legal problems may receive services from Legal Action. There are income and asset limitations for most services. See eligibility guidelines for general information and contact Legal Action for determination of eligibility. (Our SeniorLAW program, which serves persons 60 and older, has no income eligibility requirements.)

What does 'intake' mean?
'Intake' is the time set aside for people to call or come into the office to talk with a staff member about their legal problem.

Where does Legal Action get its money from?
Legal Action receives the majority of its general operating funding from Legal Services Corporation and the Wisconsin Trust Account Foundation. Additional funding is received from the Equal Justice Coalition, government grants, foundations, corporations and individual donations. Legal Action also is a member of the workplace giving campaigns ACHOICE and Community Shares.

What do I need to bring to the 'intake' interview?
To help in evaluating their case, potential clients should bring to the intake interview any documents, notices, letters, etc. relating to their situation or problem.

Can Legal Action take my case if I am in prison/jail and in need an attorney?
Legal Action cannot represent prisoners.

Why doesn't Legal Action handle personal injury cases?
As a condition of federal funding from Legal Services Corporation, Legal Action is restricted from handling certain kinds of cases, including fee-generating cases such as personal injury cases. There are many attorneys who will accept personal injury cases on a contingent fee basis.

What does 'screening' mean?
In some of Legal Action's service areas such as Social Security, education and jobs/economic development, 'screening' interviews are done over the telephone before appointments are made with an attorney.  Basic information is collected during these interviews to help determine whether a person is eligible, whether the legal problem falls within Legal Action's service requirements and the nature of the case. Appointments to meet with a lawyer often are set up during the screening interview.

Legal Services Corporation This web site was made possible by generous support of the Legal Services Corporation.
© 2002 - 2009 Legal Action of Wisconsin. All Rights Reserved.