Faces Collage is maintained by Legal Action of Wisconsin, Inc. Legal
Medicaid : Legal Action of Wisconsin
  LAW Blue Circle with Scales logo  
Your Legal Rights
W-2, Time Limits and Extensions

Is there a time limit on how long I can receive W-2?

Yes, there is a lifetime limit of 60 months. There is also a 24 month limit on each of the W-2 work placements: trial jobs, community service jobs (CSJ) and transitional jobs (W2-T).

But, you may be able to receive an extension of your time. Read more.

When does a month count towards my time limits?

Any month in which you are eligible for a cash payment from W-2 because you are in a CSJ, W2-T or trial job placement or because you have a child under 12 weeks old. This includes months in which you are sanctioned.

Months in which you are job ready and do not receive a W-2 cash payment or receive only child care, food stamps and/or medical assistance donít count.

Can I receive an extension when I reach my time limits?

Yes, you can receive an extension if you have participated in your W-2 activities and either:

  1. you have looked for a job and cannot find one, or

  2. you have a problem that prevents you from working such as a physical or emotional problem, a learning disorder, a sick or disabled child or partner, a child with behavior problems, you are homeless or you are the victim of domestic violence.

What if I have a baby after I reach my time limits?

You can receive benefits until the baby is 12 weeks old. An extension is not necessary.

How do I receive an extension?

You should ask your W-2 worker for one.

Can I return to W-2 for help if I have already reached my time limits?

Yes, you can return to the W-2 program at anytime if you cannot find a job or you are unable to work. When you return, ask for an extension.

What can I do if my worker says I cannot get an extension?

You have the right to appeal your workerís decision. You can request a hearing known as a factfinding at the W-2 agency. You have 45 days to request a hearing after you receive notice of your workerís decision. You must request a factfinding within that time or you lose your right to do so. The factfinding should be scheduled within 5 days of your request. At the factfinding you can explain why you think you are eligible for an extension.

For more information or help contact Legal Action of Wisconsin at 278-7722. You can also come in to our office for help with W-2 problems during intake hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 1:30 and 4:30 p.m.

Prepared by: Legal Action of Wisconsin, Inc., 230 West Wells Street, Room 800 Milwaukee, WI 53203
Phone: (414) 278-7722
Toll Free: (1-888-278-0633) Date: June 15, 2006

Legal Action Home Page

Legal Action Publications Page

Other Publications about Public Benefits in Wisconsin

Wisconsin Works W-2
Se trabaja en Wisconsin W-2

Assistance for Child Care

Cuidado de Ninos

April 2007 Changes in Child Care Payments

Notificacion Importante Sobre Cambios en Los Pagos a La Guarderia

W2 Job Ready

Time Limits in W2

Food Stamps/Food Share

Legal Services Corporation This web site was made possible by generous support of the Legal Services Corporation.

Home | Contact Us | Feedback | FAQ | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Legal Disclaimer | Site Map | Printable Page
© 2002 - 2009 Legal Action of Wisconsin. All Rights Reserved.