Faces Collage is maintained by Legal Action of Wisconsin, Inc. Legal
  LAW Blue Circle with Scales logo  

Legal Action of Wisconsin Home Page

Legal Action of Wisconsin's Publications Page

Compensación De Desempleo

Apply for UC On-line

Reopen An Existing Claim On-line

File A Weekly Claim On-Line

FAQ for UC in Wisconsin

UC for Victims of Domestic Violence



I just lost my job. How do I apply for unemployment compensation?

Call the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development at (414) 438-7700 or (toll-free) 1-800-UC CLAIM (1-800-822-5246). You will need to give them your Social Security number, a 4-digit "Personal ID Number" that you make up, your Wisconsin driver's license number (if you have a license) and a list of all your employers from the last one and a-half years. (You can give them this information in Spanish or English.)

After I apply, what do I have to do to keep getting my unemployment checks?

You need to CALL THE STATE EVERY WEEK to file a claim for benefits. You call them at (414) 438-5395 or (toll-free) 1-800-978-7887. You need to call even if you haven't started getting checks yet and even if you've found a part-time job. If your unemployment is denied and you ask for a hearing, KEEP CALLING EVERY WEEK to file your claims while your appeal is going on.

The state says I can't get unemployment benefits. What can I do?

ASK FOR A HEARING. You have 14 days (TWO WEEKS) from the date on the state's letter denying your claim to ask for a hearing. You can bring, mail or fax your hearing request (in writing) to the:

    819 N. 6TH ST., RM. 382
    MILWAUKEE, WI 53203
    FAX: (414) 227-4264.

I don't think I can get unemployment. Should I even apply?

YES. You MAY be able to get unemployment even if: you haven't worked for long; you quit a job; you were fired; you worked for a temporary agency; you have medical problems; and many other reasons. You won't know for sure if you qualify (or don't qualify) unless you APPLY!

This is all very confusing. Where can I go if I have questions or need help?

If you have questions about unemployment compensation - or if you apply for and are denied unemployment benefits - call Legal Action of Wisconsin at (414) 278-7722 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 2-4 p.m. and ask for "Pre-Screening."

Prepared By: Legal Action of Wisconsin
230 W. Wells St., Room 800
Milwaukee, WI 53203
(414) 278-7722

August, 1998

Legal Services Corporation This web site was made possible by generous support of the Legal Services Corporation.

Home | Contact Us | Feedback | FAQ | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Legal Disclaimer | Site Map | Printable Page
© 2002 - 2009 Legal Action of Wisconsin. All Rights Reserved.