Faces Collage is maintained by Legal Action of Wisconsin, Inc. Legal
Medicaid : Legal Action of Wisconsin
  LAW Blue Circle with Scales logo  
Your Legal Rights W-2 and Job Ready

What does job ready mean?
    Job ready is a W-2 work placement. It means that the W-2 agency has found that you are able to get and keep a job.
When can the W-2 agency find me job ready?

    The W-2 agency can decide you are job ready only if you have worked recently and you are able to work. You should not be found job ready if:
    • you have never worked,
    • you have not worked recently,
    • you have limited reading or writing skills that affect your ability to work,
    • you have physical or mental health problems that prevent you from working,
    • you need to care for a disabled child or partner, or
    • there are other problems that prevent you from working such as homelessness or domestic violence.
What services can I receive while I am in a job ready placement?
    You can receive child care to look for a job, transportation, help finding a job, and in some cases education and training services.
Do I receive a W-2 payment while in the job ready placement?
    No, you do not.
How long can the W-2 agency keep me in a job ready placement?
    If you have looked for a job and cannot find one, you should not be kept in the job ready category for more than 30 days. It is important to keep a record of your job search and to keep all appointments with your W-2 worker. You should write down all the employers you contact each day.
After 30 days what happens?
    The W-2 agency should review your case and move you to a paid W-2 placement such as a community service job.
If the W-2 worker asks me to sign a document agreeing to the job ready placement, what should I do?
    You should agree to the placement so you can get help looking for a job. Also the W-2 agency will then have to put you in a paid W-2 position if you can't find a job in 30 days.
What can I do if I disagree with the job ready placement?
    You have the right to appeal your worker's decision. You can request a hearing known as a factfinding at the W-2 agency. You have 45 days to request a hearing after you receive notice of the worker's decision. You must request a factfinding within that time or you lose your right to do so. The factfinding should be scheduled within 5 days of your request. At the factfinding you can explain why you think you are not job ready.
      Note: You can challenge the job ready placement even if you sign a document agreeing to the placement.

    For more information or help contact Legal Action of Wisconsin at 278-7722.

    You can also come in to our office in Milwaukee for help with W-2 problems during intake hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 1:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Prepared by Legal Action of Wisconsin, Inc., 230 West Wells Street, Room 800, Milwaukee, WI 53203
Phone: (414) 278-7722
Toll Free: (1-888-278-0633)
June 15, 2006

Legal Action Home Page

Legal Action Publications Page

Other Publications about Public Benefits in Wisconsin

Wisconsin Works W-2
Se trabaja en Wisconsin W-2

Assistance for Child Care

Cuidado de Ninos

April 2007 Changes in Child Care Payments

Notificacion Importante Sobre Cambios en Los Pagos a La Guarderia

W2 Job Ready

Time Limits in W2

Food Stamps/Food Share

Legal Services Corporation This web site was made possible by generous support of the Legal Services Corporation.

Home | Contact Us | Feedback | FAQ | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Legal Disclaimer | Site Map | Printable Page
© 2002 - 2009 Legal Action of Wisconsin. All Rights Reserved.