Faces Collage is maintained by Legal Action of Wisconsin, Inc. Legal
Applying for Medicaid : Your Healthy Family : Legal Action of Wisconsin
LAW Blue Circle with Scales logo

Applying for Medicaid 
Next we should talk about applying for Medicaid. There are many important things that parents need to know when deciding whether to apply for Medicaid. 

The first of which is:

Where do I go to apply for Medicaid? 
You can apply for Medicaid at your county social service agency or at a number of hospitals, clinics and outstation sites. There are also numerous sites that operate the W-2 program at which you can apply. The law requires that a Medicaid application must be taken at the time you request it. If you go to one of these Medicaid application sites, you should not be sent from one agency to another. 

Call the Medicaid Recipient Hotline at 800-362-3002 for more information about the Medicaid application sites. 

What do I need when I apply? 

To apply for Medicaid, you must bring certain papers. This is called verification. You will be given a date by which to bring them in. Some examples of what you may need to apply for Medicaid: 
  • Proof of income (e.g., check stubs)
  • Proof of assets (e.g., bank statement, value of car, etc.) This is not required for BadgerCare, Healthy Start or the OBRA Kids programs.
  • Social Security card
  • Two forms of identification (e.g., picture ID, Social Security card, birth certificate, etc.)
  • Proof of residence (e.g., utility, telephone bills or a rent receipt)
If you have trouble getting all these papers, your caseworker must help you get them. You cannot be denied Medicaid because you cannot get the verification. However, you can be denied if you refuse to provide them.
How long will it take me to get Medicaid? 
The law says that the county agency must process your application for Medicaid within 30 days. If you are approved for Medicaid you will get a medical card in the mail. If you are denied Medicaid, you must be sent a notice of denial with information about your right to request a fair hearing. 

Note: Your medical card will be changing sometime this year. By the end of 1999 all Medicaid recipients in Wisconsin should get a medical card that is a plastic card like a credit card. In Wisconsin, this card will be called the Forward card. It will be valid for as long as you remain eligible for Medicaid. You will not get a paper medical card every month, as you now do. You will get one card for each member of your family. If there is going to be a change in your eligibility for Medicaid, you will receive a notice in the mail. Make sure you read these notices carefully. Contact your caseworker if you believe that your Medicaid was wrongfully terminated or denied. You can also request a fair hearing. See REQUESTING A FAIR HEARING 

If you lose your card, call the Medicaid Recipient Hotline at 800-362-3002 for a replacement card.

 © Legal Action of Wisconsin Inc. - created by BAM! Graphic Services
Legal Services Corporation This web site was made possible by generous support of the Legal Services Corporation.

Home | Contact Us | Feedback | FAQ | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Legal Disclaimer | Site Map | Printable Page
© 2002 - 2009 Legal Action of Wisconsin. All Rights Reserved.